Whatever you do, do NOT throw that used gift paper away! And tell your friends and family!
Did you know that most gift wrapping paper which is dyed, laminated, or contains non-paper additives such as gold and silver metallic shapes, glitter, and plastics cannot be recycled? Half of the paper America consumes each year is used to wrap and decorate consumer products (Source: The Recycler's Handbook, 1990). And in the U.S., annual trash from gift-wrap and shopping bags totals 4 million tons.
Whether you decide to simply reuse your used gift wrap for next year or perhaps donate it to a local art class, school, or charity (check around!), there's a wealth of opportunity in that little piece of 'trash' most of us receive during this holiday season. You can even use it to make holiday cards for next year: an estimated 2.6 billion holiday cards are sold each year in the United States, enough to fill a football field 10 stories high. Or you can use it on some spectacular solutions and DIY projects, such as these :)
Upcycled Gift Wrap Projects
1. Shred it for packaging! You can use it anytime throughout the year for shipping, gift baskets and festive confetti.
2. Create some amazing New Year's Eve streamers, which works really well with metallic gift wrap.
3. Or these awesome star medallions, which we'd probably find a place for year-round or use in place of bows on gifts.
4. Although you could still just make these regular bows :)
5. And even make next years ornaments.
6. And poinsettias.
7. Or make wreaths, and this project is pretty and simple.
8. But if you're looking for something useful throughout the year, we're quite fond of this solution.
Questions or comments? Please like, share, and comment below!